Why Is It Better To Get A Transmission Rebuild Rather Than Buy A Used Transmission?
In the event you have a faulty transmission there are three options you can choose from. The first option is repairing the transmission. This method is quite cost-effective, but it’s not recommended for transmissions that have used for more than 80,000 miles. In addition, major failures are not properly taken care of just by repairing.
This leaves you with two feasible options. The first is a rebuild, which can be quite costly. The second option is buying a replacement transmission. Since a new transmission can cost nearly half the price of the car, the only option is a used one. However, each of these two solutions has their pros and cons. Let’s look at each one so you can make an informed decision:
Rebuilding a Transmission
Rebuilding a transmission is one of the best options for having your car’s transmission fixed. All the components of a transmission are removed and inspected. Faulty parts, as well as the ones that are in the process of wearing out, are replaced. After being rebuilt, the transmission is practically new.
- Rebuilding a transmission is one of the best options as you know exactly what parts were replaced. This gives you peace of mind that your transmission won’t develop faults for some time to come.
- When a transmission is repaired, the repair facility gives you a warranty on repairs. In case of any issues, you can make claim it.
- One disadvantage is that it takes quite long to rebuild the transmission. This is because each part has to be inspected and then replaced.
- The second disadvantage is the cost. Rebuilding a transmission is very costly and can set you back by a few thousand dollars.
Buying a Used Replacement
Buying a used replacement is quite convenient. Let’s look at the pros and cons of buying a used transmission:
- Used replacement transmissions are cost-effective. They are available at a fraction of the cost of a standard rebuild.
- There is no guarantee as to how many miles the transmission was used for.
- For some car models the transmission is extremely difficult to source.