If your car is running on the 4L60E transmission, you are likely to run into some normal wear and tear problems with it over time. However, it is helpful to know about the common problems associated with this type of transmission.
Twin Transmission Repair are experts in the 4L60E Transmission, as well as all other transmission types. Here are 8 common problems with the 4L60E Transmission and common solutions for repair:
- Gear Shift At WOT
Often in the 4L60E, gears do not shift until you let go of the throttle. The gears only shift once you let go and then hit the throttle again. This may be an issue with the TPS, which needs to be replaced.
- Slipping Of Gears
If the 4L60E gears are slipping, there can be various reasons behind it. Worn out clutches, fluid leak or it may be a broken sunshell. The worst case may be of a worn out boost valve.
- Delayed Gear Shifting
If there is a delay in gear shifting there is one likely root cause, that is, the accumulator piston is cracked. The spring inside the housing should be checked and if it is broken, it needs to be replaced.
- Does Not Shift Into Overdrive
If the transmission is not shifting into overdrive the TPS needs to be replaced. This problem is often combined with harsh and delayed shifting of the first and second gears.
- Grinding Noise in Second Gear
A grinding noise in the second gear generally points towards a cracked sunshell. For this, the entire transmission must be removed and then rebuilt. In addition, you should avoid driving your car because it may cause further damage to the transmission.
- Only the First and Third Gear Is Working
This problem is most commonly associated with shaved off splints. For this the transmission must be removed and rebuilt. To prevent more damage, avoid driving the car.
- Reverse Gear Slips
If the reverse gear in the 4L60E slips or is delayed, there is a problem with the reverse clutches. These clutches are often worn out. The same problem may also occur if there is a transmission fluid leak.
- Third And Fourth Gear Do Not Work
If the third and fourth gears are not working, it means that the 4L60E has a worn out clutch. This would require removing the transmission and rebuilding it.
List of vehicles with the 4L60E Transmission:
- Buick Rainier
- Buick Roadmaster 1994-1996
- Cadillac Escalade
- Cadillac Brougham 1991-1992
- Cadillac Fleetwood 1994-1996
- Chevrolet Astro
- Chevrolet Avalanche 2002-2008
- Chevrolet Blazer
- Chevrolet Camaro 1994-2002 (1990-1993 has the non-electronic model 4L60)
- Chevrolet Caprice 1994-96
- Chevrolet Colorado
- Chevrolet Corvette 1994-2004
- Chevrolet Express
- Chevrolet Impala SS 1994-1996
- Chevrolet S-10
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500-2500
- Chevrolet SSR
- Chevrolet Suburban
- Chevrolet Tahoe
- Chevrolet TrailBlazer
- GMC Canyon
- GMC Envoy
- GMC Safari
- GMC Savana
- GMC Sierra 1500-2500
- GMC Sonoma
- GMC Yukon
- GMC Yukon XL Denali
- Holden Commodore (VR, VS, VT, VX, VY, VZ, VE) 1993-present
- Holden Statesman (VR, VS, WH, WK and WL) 1994-2006
- Hummer H2
- Pontiac Firebird 1994-2002 (1993 has the non-electronic model 4L60)
- Pontiac GTO 2004-2006